Notice of General Meeting
(Note stand by for more information to be announced on the out come of future meetings)
Here is a message from the SW Guild President
Hi All - School District 46 and the SCRD has taken steps to reduce public gatherings. Therefore Guild meetings are cancelled until further notice. The following link is one that I have found most helpful in explaining why we need to self-isolate. This is really worth watching.
President: Dan Horner
Subject: 2020 2x4 Challenge and Party
- What: The 2x4 2x4 Challenge & Party for the year everything changed
- Where: The outdoor terrace of Sparling Pavilion, Sunshine Coast Botanical Garden Society, 5941 Mason Rd, Sechelt
- When: Saturday, August 15, 2020 from 3:00 to 5:30 pm
- Food & Drink: There will be no meal. An open bar (beer, wine, soft drinks and water) and individually wrapped snacks will be provided free of charge.
- Safety Protocols:
- You are encouraged to bring your own mask
- Hand sanitizer, gloves and additional masks will be available
- Although this will be an outdoor event, please be aware of safe social distancing
- Voting: For safety purposes, there will be no voting by attendees. Prizes will be awarded by judges appointed by the 2x4 Committee (Pat Crawford & Bruce O'Regan)
Hi Everyone - You and your significant other are invited to attend this year's 2x4 Challenge & Party. While COVID-19 cases have been very low on the Sunshine Coast, the Guild and the Botanical Garden cannot guarantee everyone's safety. However, if we all practice Dr. Bonnie's guidelines, we think that this can be a safe and fun event.
- An email was sent out to the members asking to reply with a yes or a no (even if your yes is a 'maybe'). Things can change quickly. Therefore your 'yes' is not binding. If you feel unsafe in coming at the last minute, please do not attend.
- Please include in your reply if you will have a project entry.
- Press Contact Us on this page of the SW Guild if you have questions.
In the midst of the current provincial public health emergency, we have been trying to determine what form Wood Expo 2020 will take. Currently public events indoor and outdoor must have 50 people or less and this is not expected to change for a year or more. Based on last year’s attendance, by the time we account for vendors and a few of our volunteers to man the door and sanitize surfaces etc. we would be able to have about 20 visitors at a time. Over an 8-hour event that would allow each visitor to stay for about 9 minutes which is clearly not enough time for the kind of experience we want at Wood Expo.
For a period we thought we would not be able to have Wood Expo at all, and we started a conversation with Coast TV about the possibility of doing a televised event, possibly in conjunction with an online auction. Our goal with Wood Expo is to provide an opportunity for woodcrafters and wood artists to connect with our community, to engage the public interest in this craft, and to generate sales as well as inspire each other. My vision of a televised event includes short films with woodcrafters in their workshops and Coast TV is interested in filming these. They would air them all on the day of Wood Expo whether or not we have an online auction, but also periodically before and after so they may be a real asset.
Sechelt Community Projects Inc.
dba Sunshine Coast Community Forest
PO Box 215
Unit C – 5588 Inlet Avenue
Sechelt, BC V0N 3A0
Phone: (604) 885-7809
Picture above Who We Are shows some of the SW Guild Members at the 2019 Wood Expo in June held at the Sea Side Center in Sechelt BC