Notice of General Meeting
(Note stand by for more information to be announced on the out come of future meetings)
Here is a message from the SW Guild President
Hi All - School District 46 and the SCRD has taken steps to reduce public gatherings. Therefore Guild meetings are cancelled until further notice. The following link is one that I have found most helpful in explaining why we need to self-isolate. This is really worth watching.
President: Dan Horner
Subject: 2020 2x4 Challenge and Party
- An outdoor, afternoon event to be held at the Sunshine Coast Botanical Gardens in Sechelt (washrooms available).
- This will be a free, no cost event to the Guild members and their significant others.
- No meal will be served. A complimentary bar will be provided (wine, beer, sodas, water).
- Plans will include minimizing physical contact.
- The event will be limited to no more than 50 people.
- The safety and success of this event would rely on participants pledging to maintain social distancing to the greatest extent practical.
- We are thinking of an August date (TBD).
- The event will be cancelled if the status of the virus changes on the Coast
In the midst of the current provincial public health emergency, we have been trying to determine what form Wood Expo 2020 will take. Currently public events indoor and outdoor must have 50 people or less and this is not expected to change for a year or more. Based on last year’s attendance, by the time we account for vendors and a few of our volunteers to man the door and sanitize surfaces etc. we would be able to have about 20 visitors at a time. Over an 8-hour event that would allow each visitor to stay for about 9 minutes which is clearly not enough time for the kind of experience we want at Wood Expo.
For a period we thought we would not be able to have Wood Expo at all, and we started a conversation with Coast TV about the possibility of doing a televised event, possibly in conjunction with an online auction. Our goal with Wood Expo is to provide an opportunity for woodcrafters and wood artists to connect with our community, to engage the public interest in this craft, and to generate sales as well as inspire each other. My vision of a televised event includes short films with woodcrafters in their workshops and Coast TV is interested in filming these. They would air them all on the day of Wood Expo whether or not we have an online auction, but also periodically before and after so they may be a real asset.
Sechelt Community Projects Inc.
dba Sunshine Coast Community Forest
PO Box 215
Unit C – 5588 Inlet Avenue
Sechelt, BC V0N 3A0
Phone: (604) 885-7809
Picture above Who We Are shows some of the SW Guild Members at the 2019 Wood Expo in June held at the Sea Side Center in Sechelt BC